Senior Research Scientist (F/M/D)
Pancreatic Organoid Research and Disease Modeling
The Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine (MDC) in the Helmholtz Association is an international biomedical research center dedicated to understanding the molecular mechanisms of health and disease with the goal to devise new diagnostics and medicines. The MDC is a member of the Helmholtz Association, Germany's largest scientific organization, and offers an engaging research environment with cutting-edge research infrastructure. Currently, ~1250 employees and ~500 guest scientists work at the Berlin-Buch and Berlin-Mitte campuses. Our diverse workforce is a core strength that inspires creativity and innovation at the MDC.
The MDC is committed to improving human health through transformative biomedical research. Our goal is to pioneer discoveries for preventing, treating, and ultimately curing disease. The Innovation and Commercialization department aims to return value to society by providing MDC scientists with a dynamic and sustainable environment for innovation. It strives to promote the development of innovative technologies, products, and services for the R&D market and for clinical applications.
A senior scientist position is available in the laboratory of Prof. Dr. Maike Sander at the Max Delbrück Center (MDC). Research in the Sander laboratory aims to understand and reverse pancreatic beta cell dysfunction in diabetes. To understand cellular processes leading to diabetes, the Sander laboratory employs human pluripotent stem cell (hPSC)-based models and interrogates these models combining functional and single-cell based genomic assays.
The incumbent will provide scientific development and execution of human pluripotent stem cell research related to diabetes.
Converting research findings to manuscripts, progress reports, and presentations.
Recommending new technical areas to be discussed or promoting discussion in existing areas of expertise.
Training, instruction and mentoring of project team members.
Analyzing and interpreting research data, exercising independent judgement.
Developing written policies and procedures, managing budget, implementing regulations.
- PhD degree or equivalent in a quantitative discipline (stem cell biology, cell and molecular biology, biomedical engineering) or a related field with relevant experience
- Expertise in molecular biology and tissue culture
- Strong self-motivation, organizational skills and ability to lead and develop scientific projects
- Scientific curiosity, analytical thinking and interest in contributing to projects
- Keen interest in learning new skills, research techniques, data processing and analysis/interpretation of results
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively with expert individuals of different backgrounds in a multidisciplinary team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Experience in electronic data organization
- International working environment with communication in English and German
- Interesting career opportunities and a comprehensive range of qualification and further training opportunities
- Compatibility of family and career certified by the berufundfamilie audit
- Varied support for "New Berliners" (Welcome & Family Office)
- Company health management with fitness center
You also benefit from:
- A remuneration in accordance with the collective agreement for the federal public service (TVöD-Bund), including additional company pension schemes
- Flexible working hours and childcare support
- An idyllic green campus, which is easily accessible by bicycle, public transport or car
- A secure job, even in uncertain times
- Subsidy for the job ticket as well as discounts in the campus canteen
- Additional health benefits such as flu vaccination, eye test, ergonomics advice at the workplace, hygiene measures (medical mouth-nose protection, self-tests, disinfectants)
- The possibility of mobile working - also independent of the Corona situation
- Free use of Nextbike from the Buch S-Bahn station to the campus
Remuneration will be according to the TVöD Bund, depending on the personal requirements, up to the fee group 14.
Desired starting date
May 01, 2023
The initial contract will be offered for 2 years with the possibility of extension.
April 30, 2023
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, gender identity or sexual orientation. We look forward to receiving applications from open-minded people who enjoy working in diverse teams. Applications from severely disabled persons will be given special consideration.
Prof. Dr. Maike Sander
Pancreatic Organoid Research and Disease Modeling
Please use our Online-Portal
to submit your application including a cover letter, CV (without photo, age and information about your family status), references, educational and degree certificates as well as other relevant attachments. Please submit your application in a single pdf file, maximum size 8 MB.
If you have a foreign degree, please submit proof of the recognition of your Master's degree in Germany with your application. The proof can be determined via the anabin database
) and can be submitted as a PDF attachment to the application.
For information on fair mobility, click here: https://www.fair-labour-mobility.eu/