We are one of the youngest universities in Germany and think in terms of possibilities rather than limitations. In the heart of the Ruhr metropolis, in our 11 faculties, we develop ideas for the future. We are strong in research and teaching, live diversity, support potential and are highly committed to an educational equality that deserves this name.
The University of Duisburg-Essen
is searching at the Campus Essen for a position in the Faculty of Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering, Institute of Materials Science
, as a
Scientific Researcher (f/m/d)
(salary group EG 13 TV-L, 75 %)
The Institute of Materials Science at UDE is part of the Faculty of Engineering. It represents non-metallic functional materials and building materials as essential expertise.
Main research topics and duties:
A researcher position is open in the DFG research project "Molecular ferroelectrics for electrocaloric cooling".
Molecular ferroelectrics is an emerging field in materials science. The aim of the MOLECTRA project is to fundamentally understand ferroelectric phase transitions and the electrocaloric properties of molecular ferroelectric single crystals (Me3NCH2XN+)-TM-Y3, (X, Y = Cl, Br, I and TM = Fe, Mn, Zn). The electrocaloric effect corresponds to the change in entropy of a dielectric material due to the application of an electric field. It is promising for the development of solid-state coolers for microelectronics industry and household applications.
Your tasks will consist of growing single crystals, characterizing their structure, determining the dielectric and ferroelectric properties, measuring the electrocaloric effect and developing a setup for electrocaloric measurements using infrared thermometry. The project is a collaboration with the theoretical group of Prof. A. Grünebohm from the Ruhr University Bochum.
As part of the activity, we offer a possibility of obtaining a Ph.D. degree.
- a university degree (master's or diploma) in Chemistry, Materials Science, Physics or related disciplines
- experience in growing single crystals is desirable
- profound knowledge of English (both written and spoken) is also a necessary requirement for the implementation of the project
- pleasant working atmosphere in a dynamic team
- the opportunity to do a doctorate with numerous support offers
- family friendliness through flexible and individual care for your children
- training and further education offers
- sports and health offers (university sports)
- the possibility of home office
Start of position:
36 months (end of project)
75 % of a full-time position