Reference No.: 003/2023
With its modern facilities, Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences offers excellent studying and working conditions
and ground-breaking research prospects in the heart of Saxony-Anhalt. As a university of applied sciences that is entitled to
award doctorates in its own right, we are proud of our interdisciplinary departments that are distinguished by high quality
standards in teaching and application-oriented research. At both of our campuses in Magdeburg and Stendal we offer a familyfriendly,
culturally diverse infrastructure providing a high quality of life.
The Department of Water, Environment, Civil Engineering and Safety (WUBS) is seeking to fill the following full-time post for an
indefinite period by 01.04.2024 at the university’s Magdeburg campus:
Thanks to its particular strength in research and the extensive combination of subjects, the Department of Water, Environment, Civil Engineering and Safety (WUBS)
is a department with an interdisciplinary orientation that offers undergraduate Bachelor’s and consecutive Master’s degree programmes in a variety of disciplines.
You will carry out teaching and research in a practically oriented manner in as many as possible of the following applicationoriented subject areas
- Solid construction (reinforced concrete, pre-stressed concrete, masonry)
- Concrete bridge construction
- where applicable also concrete prefabricated construction
- With regard to teaching, you will also be prepared where needed to take over instruction in basic subjects such as engineering mechanics, statics and dynamics.
- The Department has a very well-equipped facility with countless laboratories. You will be expected to take on the management of the associated structural component testing laboratory and to actively use the equipment for teaching and research.
- In so doing particular focus will be on the transfer of basic knowledge. In the courses on the Bachelor ’s and Master's study programmes, it will be of particular importance to you to convey factual connections using suitable teaching methods in an application-oriented manner.
- You will be committed to strengthening the specialist profile of the Department, will work on an interdisciplinary basis in the context of cross-departmental cooperation at the Magdeburg campus and will be involved in the development of the range of programmes offered.
- Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences is entitled to award doctorates in fields with particular research strength. This means that we offer a research-friendly environment, which, provided that you meet the requirements, will enable you to play a part in our Doctoral Centre for Environment and Technology.
- It goes without saying that you will be committed to technology and knowledge transfer and cooperation with regional and international stakeholders as well as to contributing to the development of the university.
- Moreover, it is important to us that you be involved in academic self-governance.
You will be a good fit with us if you are an enthusiastic teacher and researcher and enjoy supporting our students with their learning as well as encouraging them in their chosen career.
- You will have successfully completed a university degree in the field of civil engineering and have a particular aptitude for scientific work, generally evidenced by a qualifying doctorate. Furthermore, you will have published work relevant to the area of the appointment.
- You will be able to communicate information in a clear and practically oriented manner, be it face-to-face, online or via hybrid teaching methods / blended learning scenarios. Experience in teaching in a university or a comparable educational setting as well as working with learning platforms will be advantageous.
- You will be able to demonstrate particular achievements in the application or development of scientific knowledge and methods in the areas of activity / subjects of solid construction and concrete bridge construction. You will have accomplished these in professional practice of at least three years ’ duration outside of the higher education sector. Experience in planning in construction engineering is expected.
- Ideally you will have experience in the acquisition of third-party funds and the management of research projects. Equally, international experience is highly desirable.
- You will be able to lead groups of students and empathise with their concerns. Your willingness to work in teams and talent for communication will support your enjoyment of working with students and participating in constructive discourse for the good of the university.
- You know how to convey scientific knowledge in an easily understandable way in both German and English and to communicate securely in German in everyday life at the university.
The general conditions of appointment for professors are derived from § 35 para. 2 of the current version of the Higher Education
Act of the state of Saxony-Anhalt.
Provided that the relevant requirements are met (assuming, among other things, that the candidate is under the age of 52) the
appointee will be granted civil servant status for life, otherwise they will be employed on the basis of an unlimited employment
relationship under private law.
Magdeburg Stendal University of Applied Sciences is striving to increase its proportion of female members of staff. For this
reason we are particularly pleased to receive applications from suitably qualified women. Magdeburg Stendal University of
Applied Sciences is a certified family-friendly university and supports the compatibility of family and working life in a variety of
ways. Priority will be given to applications from severely disabled candidates (m/f/o) who demonstrate equal professional
aptitude and performance. As teaching and the integration of the university in the region are high priorities, the supervision of
students will primarily take place face to face. Accordingly, we assume that in order to fulfil the duties of the professorship, your
life will be based in the region.
You can find further useful information for your application and about what we have to offer in your new working environment on our application portal, “The Path to a Professorship”.
If you would like to help us educate young people, we look forward to receiving your detailed application by 04.04.2023
and addressed to the Rector, Professor Dr. Manuela Schwartz.
We also look forward to receiving your application if you will meet the conditions of appointment by no later than the personal
interviews, which are scheduled for approximately three to four months after the application deadline.
Should you have any questions regarding the advertised post, please contact Professor Dr.-Ing. Torsten Schmidt, Tel.; +49(0) 391 886 4679 or email: email@example.com
Any questions regarding the appointment process itself should be directed to the Appointments Officer in the Rectors Office, Ms
Antje Völker by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The documents of unsuccessful applicants will be destroyed six months after completion of the application process.