Job title: Tenure Track Assistant Professor Islam - Islamic Spiritual Care
VU unit: Godgeleerdheid
Vacancy number: 17040
Date of publication: 17 February 2017
Closing date: 15 March 2017
The Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) is a leading, innovative and flourishing university with a strong societal orientation and actively contributing to developments in teaching and research. Our broad-based university has ten faculties, several institutes, foundations and research centers, and support services. On the campus of the fastest growing economic region in the Netherlands (the South Axis of Amsterdam), we employ over 4,500 employees and accommodate some 23,000 students.
The Faculty of Theology is an open, dynamic, interreligious and internationally oriented faculty in which people with different traditions and backgrounds devote themselves dialogically to high-quality scientific research and education and relevant social services. The Faculty offers Bachelor programmes in Theology and in Religious Studies as well as one-, two- and three- year Master’s programmes. In the one-year programme many students take courses in Spiritual Care. Within our booming Graduate School of Theology and Religious Studies we supervise over 300 PhD-students.
We are looking for an Assistant Professor Islam with emphasis on Islamic Spiritual Care (ISC), embedded in the Centre for Islamic Theology (CIT).
- Providing education in Dutch and English on Islamic Spiritual Care (ISC) and possibly other courses in the Bachelor, Master and interdisciplinary programmes;
- Supervising students during their internship in various ISC organizations;
- Contributing to curriculum development in the Bachelor and Master programmes;
- Active participation in educational and research activities of the CIT and the Faculty of Theology;
- Developing and expanding scholarly research within the framework of the research profile of the CIT and the Faculty of Theology;
- Contributing to the development of research proposals;
The successful applicant will have:
- PhD in Islamic theology or a relevant other field. Optionally, highly competent PhD researchers (in a final stage of their PhD trajectory) may also qualify.
- At least 5 years of experience in the field of ISC and/or coaching of Muslim chaplains.
- Excellent teaching skills and affinity with teaching at an academic level, preferably verified with BKO, UTQ, or equivalent teaching qualification.
- Excellent command (written and oral) of, Dutch, English, Turkish, and Arabic (international applicants who do not have command of Dutch language are willing to follow language courses and to provide education in Dutch on short-term)
- Attestable strong network in the field of ISC;
- Internationally-oriented publication list, which reflects the number of years of professional and academic experience (after completion of PhD);
- Demonstrable ability to acquire research grants/funding;
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
The position of Assistant Professor is a tenure track position for 3 years. The preferred starting date is September 1st 2017. Current assistant professors with a few years of experience are very much welcome to apply for this position, as they might complete the tenure track early.
You can find information about our excellent fringe benefits of employment at www.workingatvu.nl like:
- remuneration of 8,3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance
- solid pension scheme (ABP);
- possibilities to work part-time
The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, and depending on experience, range from a minimum of € 2532,- gross per month up to a maximum of € 5288,-.gross per month (salary scale 12) based on a fulltime employment.
For additional information please contact: Dr. Yaser Ellethy; e-mail: email@example.com;
tel.: +3120 5984124
Applicants should send an e-mail including a cover letter with their motivation, CV and list of publications before 15 March 2017 to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please mention the vacancy number in the e-mail header.
Any other correspondence in response to this advertisement will not be dealt with.