Senior Consultant 100 % combined with Adjunct Professor / Associate Professor - Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Institute of Surgical Research, Institute of Clinical MedicineReference number: UiO 2017/1336 Oslo University Hospital (OUH) is Norway’s largest hospital with over 20 000 employees and a budget of 20 billion NOK. It is a local hospital for parts of Oslo’s population. It has a regional function for the inhabitants in the South-Eastern Norway Regional Health Authority, and it also has a large number of national functions. The Hospital is responsible for the majority of medical research and education of health personnel in Norway. The University of Oslo (UiO) is Norway’s largest research and educational institution with 28 000 students and 7 000 employees. Professional breadth and internationally recognized research environments make UiO an important contributor to society. The Faculty works for progressive education, research and dissemination for the patients’ and society’s best interests. It is organized into three basic units and has approximately 1 500 employees (about 1 000 work years) and about 2 000 students. A full time permanent position as Senior Consultant (Cardiothoracic Surgery) is available at the Division of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Diseases/ Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Oslo University Hospital.The position is affiliated with a part time position as Adjunct Professor SKO 8013 /Associate Professor SKO 1011 (20 % position) in Medicine (Cardiothoracic Surgery) at the Institute for Surgical Research, Division of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Medicine, the Institute of Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo (UiO). It is required that the position holder attends to both positions. The Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery is the largest department of Cardiothoracic surgery in Norway. The Department is responsible for specialized regional and local services for 2,7 million people, and is responsible for transplantation of heart and lungs and for congenital heart surgery in all Norway.
Regarding the full-time clinical position at OUH:
Oslo University Hospital has local, regional, multiregional, and national responsibilities in Cardiothoracic Surgery. The Division of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Medicine is located at three campuses, Rikshospitalet, Aker and Ulleval hospitals, and is currently organized with seven departments, including the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, localized at Ulleval and Rikshospitalet campuses. All departments are involved in patient care, teaching of medical students and of other health care professionals, and with a focus on relevant clinical and basic research. Many of the research groups are leading in their field and do collaborate nationally and internationally. Applicants must hold an MD and have broad clinical experience in Cardiothoracic Surgery and research experience related to the specialty. Interpersonal skills and the ability to create an attractive research environment will be emphasized. Applicants who do not speak Norwegian, Swedish or Danish must aquire such skills within two years following their appointment and must be able to teach in English in the interim period. In addition, the teaching position requires fluency in English (see below). Main tasks in the main position at the hospital:
- Responsible for establishment, participation, and development of a new surgical and clinical programme within minimally invasive and catheterbased surgery, as well as within arrhythmic surgery
- Participate in daily activities, including ward rounds, out-patient controls (in agreement with the head of the department) as well as being on call as a senior consultant surgeon according to competence (evaluated by the head of the department).
For complete job description with qualification requirements and basis of evaluation on the academic position, please see: http://www.med.uio.no/klinmed/om/jobb/stillingsbeskrivelser/2017-1336_cardiothoracic-surgery.pdf We offer:
- An exciting, active and ambitious academic/scientific working environment
- Good opportunities for international, national and regional scientific collaboration
- Time dedicated to teaching and research
- Favorable pension arrangements
- Advantageous welfare conditions
- Salary dependent on qualifications
- A cover letter (one-page statement of motivation and research interests)
- CV (summarizing education, positions, academic work, scientific publications and language qualifications
- Describe your experience with supervision of PhD candidates (including information on institutions, dates for the presentation of the theses, and responsibility as main- or co-supervisor for each candidate)
- Describe your teaching qualifications and evidence of pedagogical innovation
- Describe your qualifications in teaching and communication with patients and students
- Describe your qualifications in administration and/ or leadership
- Other qualifications
- A complete list of publications.
- A separate list of your 10 most important publications - i.e. the 10 publications which you would like the adjudicating committee to give the main emphasis in their assessment (please submit these 10 papers in full text format)
- Letters of recommendation from previous employers and/or other sources
- List of all documents attached to your application