Sorry, but this job posting is no longer current.
Please search current job opportunities in education, research and development.
academics.com offers the largest choice of jobs and vacancies at universities and research institutes and in Research and Development in industry.
Fulltime scientist starting from June 2017
The contract will be limited to two years.
The tasks include
- development and implementation of novel optical methods
- selection and setting up of optical systems
- theoretical and practical training of institute members
- support of the scientists during their work on the microscopes.
- Degree (Masters, Diploma or higher) in physics or life sciences
- Excellent knowledge of principles and methods of optics and microscopy (including fluorescence, confocal microscopy, contrast enhancing methods for transmission microscopy, properties of light sources and detectors)
- Longterm experience with commercial microscopes, in particular with confocal laserscanning microscopes
- Experience in designing, implementing and maintaining optical systems
- Experience in characterizing optical system and microscopes as well as carrying out quality control on microscopes
- Experience with data analysis (in particular image analysis) in a programming language (ideally Matlab)
- Experience with software for image processing (e.g. ImageJ, Imaris, Arivis, Amira)
- Fluent in English and German
- High degree of motivation and self-reliance combined with excellent organizational and team work skills
- PhD in physics or life sciences
- Experience with biological research, ideally in the field of neuroscience
- Experience in working in an imaging facility
- Experience in working with two-photon excited fluorescence and / or harmonic generation and/or superresolution microscopes and/or biological samples (cell culture, brain slices, in vivo experiments)
- Experience with additional physiological techniques (e.g. patch clamp recordings)
- Knowledge of electronics, e.g. for device control
The Max-Planck-Society is an equal opportunity employer who wants to increase the number of women in areas where they are underrepresented. Women are therefore explicitelty encouraged to apply. The Max-Planck-Society is an equal opportunity employer striving to employ handicapped people; applications of disabled candidates are thus explicitly desired.
We are looking forward to your application. Please send your CV, motivation letter, and references – preferably via E-mail – until April 30th 2017 to
60438 Frankfurt am Main.