Sorry, but this job posting is no longer current.
Please search current job opportunities in education, research and development.
academics.com offers the largest choice of jobs and vacancies at universities and research institutes and in Research and Development in industry.
SB - Technical expert in X-ray techniques and crystallographyThe Institute of Physics at EPFL is seeking to hire an expert in X-ray techniques and crystallography in charge of the Institute’s X-ray facilities.
Operating within the Institute’s Crystal Growth Facility, the successful candidate will work with laboratories across the EPFL campus to maximize their scientific output.
- Assist EPFL laboratories with planning and execution of measurement, including single crystal and powder diffraction, texture and thin-film analysis etc.
- Partake in analysis of data, including structural refinements, and interpret results in relation to other techniques
- Train researchers in diffraction techniques and structure refinement
- Maintain and expand a state of the art suite of in-house instrumentation including diffractometers, sample changers, LT devices, HP accessories etc.
- Maintain relevant crystallographic software and train collaborators in their use
- Solid experience with X-ray methods such as diffraction of single crystals (including Laue method), powders (including diffuse and total scattering), thin films, textures
- Technical expertise in X-ray instrumentation, including ability to specify equipment to be procured, maintain, service and upgrade existing instrumentation
- Capability and to train users in diffraction techniques and crystallography
- Experience with synchrotron and other large scale facility methods
- Experience with experiments under non-ambient conditions (P,T)
- Experience with complementary scattering techniques such as electrons, neutrons etc.
- A broad understanding of complementary scientific disciplines such as Raman, NMR, magnetic structures, phase transitions, electron microscopy, crystal optics and X-ray fluorescence or spectroscopy
EPFL is a leading university with strong emphasis on basic sciences, engineering and life sciences. Multiple laboratories in physics, chemistry and materials science rely on high level diffraction and crystallographic analysis. As responsible for Physics’ X-ray facilities of the Crystal Growth Facility, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to interact and collaborate with scientists from multiple disciplines and contribute to a broad span of activities and exciting science.
We offer internationally competitive salaries, excellent working conditions and a state-of-the-art infrastructure in a highly dynamic and international environment.
Start date: as soon as possible
Deadline for application: until the position is filled
Contract: Initial appointment is 2 years with possibility for extension, including possibility of promotion to permanent staff.
Motivated and qualified candidates should submit their application including: detailed CV including list of technical skills (techniques and software mastered), teaching/training and publication record as well as names of at least 3 references to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.