Newcastle University believes in, and strives for, world-class academic excellence – but excellence with a purpose.
We work on the supply side of knowledge creation and dissemination, and respond to the demand side of societal challenges. We are a large employer and a magnet for tens of thousands of young people, and form an integral part of civil society. The hallmark of a civic university.
We have a world-class reputation for research excellence and are spearheading three major societal challenges that have a significant impact on global society. These themes are: Ageing, Sustainability, and Social Renewal.
Our research excellence was rewarded in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework, where Newcastle is ranked:
•16th in the country for research power
•3rd in the UK for English for research quality
•8th in the UK for Medical and Life Sciences research quality
•in the top 12 for Geography, Architecture and Planning, and Cultural and Media Studies
We are also an Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) top 20 strategic partner.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. System security research within the newly formed EPSRC Contrails centre CRITiCaL, detecting criminal activity in the cloud.
2. Co-leading and coordinating the overall research agenda of the centre.
3. Co-leading the cloud security research, dissemination and impact activities for the EPSRC Centre for Cloud Security, especially publications at first-tier security conferences and journals.
4. Working with local, national and international partners of the EPSRC Centre for Cloud Security in the development and delivery of effective methods and systems for detection, prosecution, and prevention of cloud crime
5. Contributing to system development for building an effective framework for detection, prosecution, and prevention of cloud crime
6. Contributing to the supervision and undertaking day-to-day management of postgraduate students at Newcastle University’s School of Computing Science
7. Leading and contributing to funding proposals in the area of cloud security
8. Initiating and developing research collaborations on behalf of the Centre with researchers from disciplines other than computer science.
9. Contributing to the group for Secure and Resilient Systems (SRS).
Knowledge (inc. qualifications)
•PhD or equivalent in security or systems (or a related field)
•Interest and understanding of machine learning
•Interest and understanding of privacy
Skills (professional, technical, managerial, practical)
•Very strong systems and security skills
•Strong software development skills
•Very strong project management skills
•Excellent written and oral communication skills
Experience and Achievements (paid or unpaid)
•Significant experience of project management and team leadership
•Track record of delivering security systems
•Internationally outstanding research and/or practice outputs in security venues
•Internationally recognized in security research, especially with research interests of in cloud computing or intrusion detection
•Available for national and international travel
•Available to work weekends as required
Please apply using the website: https://vacancies.ncl.ac.uk/