Programme Director Civil EngineeringSpecifications
Professors, associate professors, assistant professors and lecturers
Natural Sciences, Engineering
20.0 hours per week
University of Twente (UT)
The Programme Director is the representative of these programmes both internally and to the outside world. Under the direction of the Education Portfolio Holder of the faculty, the Programme Director is responsible for the strategy and the structure of these programmes. In particular, this concerns the realisation of coherent educational programmes and a corresponding learning environment that are in line with the educational vision of the UT. This vision focuses on student-driven learning and project-based education with the aim of all students becoming proficient in the required knowledge, skills and attitudes of the relevant field. The UT considers it important to introduce Bachelor’s students to the roles of researcher, designer and organiser, allowing them to discover their greatest strength and interest in order to become competent in a role in a subsequent stage (in the Master’s programme and after that).
To realise the educational programmes and the learning environment, the programme director may rely on education coordinators, study advisers, staff mobility, internationalisation, and quality assurance staff of the Office of Educational Support of the faculty.
In addition to his/her role within the programme, the Programme Director, as part of the MT Education of the faculty, shares responsibility for the educational vision in the broadest sense and is accountable for the faculty’s broad programme vision.
- has a background in Engineering Technology, or in Educational Science or a related discipline, with demonstrable affinity with the field and/or the programme of Civil Engineering;
- possesses a PhD degree;
- has at least 6 years of relevant experience;
- has a clear vision on education, student learning, didactics and curriculum development and has an interest in educational issues;
- has extensive experience in higher education, has excellent teaching skills, and has experience in coordination and organisation of education and quality assurance;
- has affinity with the educational vision and educational profile of the University of Twente;
- is a convincing and decisive person;
- is a team player, understands the importance of collaboration with colleagues within and outside the UT and has the capacity to properly balance the different interests;
- has capacity for innovation: identifies opportunities for innovation and is able to realise new initiatives;
- has excellent communication skills. In any case, in English and preferably also in Dutch;
- possesses leadership qualities and power of persuasion and interacts easily within different groups (students, education support staff, professors and other academic staff, fellow programme directors, etc.);
- has access to a network within the professional field of Civil Engineering and/or in the field of education and is able to tap into opportunities to acquire additional revenue and subsidies for education.
We offer a very challenging position in an inspiring and international environment. You will be initially employed for a period of one year, and the employment will be extended or become tenured after a positive evaluation. In accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU) the gross monthly salary will range from &eurO, 5059,- to € 6438,- (scale 14) and will depend on experience and qualifications. Additionally, the University of Twente provides excellent facilities for professional and personal development, a holiday allowance, an end-of-year bonus and a number of additional benefits.
You can apply through the button below. You can upload a maximum of 3 documents. Please send in your application (motivation letter and resume) before June 25th, 2017.
Further information available from Professor Dr. G.P.M.R. Dewulf (firstname.lastname@example.org), dean of the ET faculty, or Dr. ir. C.M. Dohmen-Janssen (email@example.com), Education Portfolio Holder of the ET faculty (and current programme director of Civil Engineering).
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which drives change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university in the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. The University of Twente has a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out pioneering research.
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: MIRA, CTIT, SBE, and IGS.