Sorry, but this job posting is no longer current.
Please search current job opportunities in education, research and development.
academics.com offers the largest choice of jobs and vacancies at universities and research institutes and in Research and Development in industry.
Professorship (with special responsibilities) in Diadromous Fishes and their ManagementDTU Aqua at Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a position as professor with special responsibilities in diadromous fish stocks and their management. The professorship is affiliated with the National Institute of Aquatic Resources (DTU Aqua), Section for Freshwater Fisheries and Ecology located in Silkeborg.
The research of the section is centred on individual behaviour of fish as a step towards understanding the population dynamics of fish and their interactions with the environment. The research includes studies of fish habitats in streams, lakes, coastal and marine areas and how natural factors and human activity affect the conditions under which fish live. We investigate the effect of deterioration of aquatic habitats and the difficulties faced by fish when they migrate, including the effect of physical barriers in streams, nutrient-rich lakes and the construction of new lakes and wetlands in streams.
The research has three main themes:
i) migratory behaviour
ii) relationship between predator and prey and
iii) restoring natural fish populations
Responsibilities and tasks
The professor‘s research field will be
- to advance our understanding of migration of fishes, particularly diadromous species, through a multidisciplinary approach involving physiology and genetics, with telemetry as primary tool
- the development of telemetry as tools in ecological studies
- to evaluate the impact of obstacles (such as weirs, hydropower stations, etc.) on fish migration.
The professor is expected to take leadership in planning, implementing, and contributing to the coordination of larger international and national multidisciplinary research projects and is expected to improve the capacity of the Institute for giving advice to national and international managers of fisheries, policy makers, and relevant authorities as well as other stakeholders.
The professor is expected to participate in teaching at the BSc, MSc, and PhD levels.
The position is intended for a candidate with a track record of
- internationally acknowledged research in freshwater fisheries and ecology
- experience in giving advice on habitat deterioration and restauration
- management of freshwater and recreational fisheries to public authorities, international advisory bodies and other stakeholders
- visionary strategic development of the research area
- planning, implementing and running innovative research projects
- coordinating input and contributing to work of national and international advisory groups
Further information may be obtained from Head of Department Fritz Köster, +45 3396 3300, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Deputy Director Anders Koed, +45 21685641, e-mail: email@example.com.
You can read more about DTU Aqua on www.aqua.dtu.dk
We must have your online application by 29 November 2017.
To view the full announcement and to apply: www.career.dtu.dk