Associate/Full Professor Arts in Society (1.0 fte)Specifications
Professors, associate professors, assistant professors and lecturers
Language and Culture
38.0 hours per week
University of Groningen
The Faculty of Arts of the University of Groningen invites applications for the position of Full or Associate Professor of Arts in Society. Candidates must have a background and/or expertise in the field of Sociology and the Arts.
The Chair is embedded in the department of Arts, Culture and Media. The department offers tracks in Film, Music, and Theatre, and, in cooperation with the Departments of Art History and European Languages and Cultures, in the Fine Arts and Literature respectively. While developing a thorough expertise in two of these art disciplines, students also specialize in one of the following approaches: Analysis and Criticism, Arts Policy and Marketing / Management, or Arts Education. The department brings together scholars from the mentioned arts disciplines, with a shared focus on the ways in which the arts contribute to the creation and mediation of perspectives, values and world views, which may be factors both of social cohesion and of contestation.
The professor will:
- coordinate and teach courses in the bachelor’s degree programme in Arts, Culture and Media, and the master’s degree programme in Arts and Culture; in addition, s/he may also be expected to teach in the research master’s programmes in Cultural Leadership and Literary and Cultural Studies, the graduate school/PhD programme and, occasionally, in other bachelor’s and master’s programmes (University College, Honours Programme)
- instigate, coordinate and conduct research in the field of arts sociology, with special reference to arts policy and politics, focusing on the interplay between the arts and society, and the institutional context of the arts
- supervise PhD research
- obtain external funding for research
- fulfil organizational roles within and possibly also outside the faculty
- represent and promote the department of Arts, Culture and Media in fostering and expanding national and international contacts.
The applicant is expected to:
- hold a relevant PhD and have a substantial professional track record in the field of Arts and Culture Sociology
- have proven excellence in academic research, as demonstrated by publications in leading international journals and books published by high-ranking publishers
- have been (and be) successful in acquiring external funding for research
- be an excellent, dedicated and innovative teacher with a broad teaching portfolio
- have proven experience in supervising PhD students
- have a clear vision on the future of Arts in Society
- have excellent capacities for collaboration in teaching and research
- have organizational and administrative competence
- have excellent leadership capacities
- be willing to acquire a passive knowledge of the Dutch language (within 2 years)
- be willing to take up residence in or near Groningen
The University of Groningen offers a salary depending on qualifications and work experience. For candidates at associate professor level, the salary ranges from a minimum of € 4,749 to a maximum of € 6,349 gross per month for a fulltime (1.0 fte) position (salary scales 13 and 14 for Associate Professor 1 and 2 of the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities). For candidates at full professor level, the salary ranges from a minimum of € 5,260 to a maximum of € 7,659 gross per month for a fulltime (1.0 fte) position (salary scale Full Professor 2 of the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities). The above mentioned salaries are all excluding 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees. For international candidates an advantageous tax rule may be applicable. For candidates at associate professor level please take notice of the Tenure Track policy of the Faculty of Arts: www.rug.nl/research/research-let/rff/tenuretrack
The interviews will be held in April 2017. An assessment may be part of the procedure.
The new professor will preferably be appointed per 1 August 2017.
A description of the Chair can be obtained from the Office of the Faculty of Arts, Ms G. Peters-Beuke, phone +31 50 3635834, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
Candidates may apply for this position until 28 February / 1 March2017 Dutch local time by using the application form (click on ’Apply’ below on the job advertisement on the university website).
Applicants are requested to submit:
1. A covering letter including their view on how their research and teaching may benefit the department (max. 1000 words)
2. A curriculum vitae, including a list of publications, teaching activities, fundraising activities and awarded projects, as well as managerial activities
3. The names and contact details of two references.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
University of Groningen
Faculty of Arts
The Faculty of Arts is a large, dynamic faculty in the heart of the city of Groningen. It has more than 5000 students and 700 staff members, who are working at the frontiers of knowledge every day. The Faculty offers a wide range of degree programmes: 15 bachelor’s programmes and over 40 master’s specializations. Our research, which is internationally widely acclaimed, covers the following fields: Archaeology, Arts and Culture Studies, History, International Relations, Journalism, Language and Literary Studies, and Linguistics.
Mrs Prof. G.W. Wakker, Dean of the Faculty of Arts
+31 50 3635834,