Sorry, but this job posting is no longer current.
Please search current job opportunities in education, research and development.
academics.com offers the largest choice of jobs and vacancies at universities and research institutes and in Research and Development in industry.
The GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale Studien is an independent social-science research institute based in Hamburg. It analyses political, social and economic developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East, linking this knowledge to questions of global significance. It combines region-specific analysis with innovative comparative research on accountability and participation, growth and development, peace and security, power and ideas. The GIGA seeks to appoint a
Postdoctoral Research Fellowwithin the Leibniz Association-funded Junior Research Group "Sources and Consequences of Legitimation Strategies of Regional Organisations" headed by Prof. Dr. Tobias Lenz. Applications are invited for a full-time position, with a 4-year-contract, preferably starting 1 June 2018. The salary is commensurate with TV-AVH / TVöD EG 13.
The Research Group seeks to map and explain the sources and consequences of legitimation strategies in regional organisations over time. It studies (1) how state representatives and regional organisation bureaucrats justify to relevant internal and external audiences an organisation‘s right to rule, (2) why such discursive legitimation strategies may change over time and vary across organisations; and (3) whether and how they are related to institutional legitimation strategies. The Group‘s research agenda consists of a quantitative component that aims to map, and explain basic patterns in, the discursive and institutional legitimation strategies of 30 regional organisations worldwide in the period from 1980 to 2015 and several qualitative components that seek to identify the causal mechanisms and political dynamics of legitimation and delegitimation in regional organisations in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East.
The successful candidate will
- work as part of a research team on developing a dataset on the legitimation strategies of regional organisations as well as co-developing and testing the theoretical framework of the project leading to publications in international journals and a book;
- be an active member of the GIGA, affiliated to one of its Regional Institutes and at least one Research Programme;
- have no teaching obligation.
- a doctoral degree in the social sciences, or a dissertation manuscript that has been submitted, specialised in international politics / international organisations; knowledge of regional organisations is an asset
- a strong scientific track record (visible in among other things international journal publications and international academic experience)
- excellent skills in quantitative methods of data analysis; knowledge of quantitative text analysis is an asset
- excellent written and oral communication skills in English; knowledge of Spanish and/or French is an asset
Please fill out the GIGA application form (found at www.giga-hamburg.de/en/vacancies) and send it with your full application (Ref.-No. GIGA-18-02) including relevant supporting documentation (cover letter outlining your motivation and skills, CV and list of publications, Bachelor and Master level study transcripts, two letters of recommendation, and two writing sam-ples, at least one of which is single-authored) to:
Stephanie Stövesand, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies,
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Email: email@example.com (email applications are particularly welcome).
Screening of applications will begin on 1 March 2018.
For further information, please visit the GIGA homepage (www.giga-hamburg.de) or contact
Prof. Dr. Tobias Lenz (email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +49 (0)40 – 428 25 765).