The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
Postdoctoral Fellow in informaticsThe Department of Informatics (http://www.uib.no/ii/en) has a vacancy for a postdoctoral fellow in informatics for a period of 4 years.
About the project/work tasks:
The position will be connected to one of the six research groups of the department: algorithms, bioinformatics, optimization, programming theory, computer security and visualization. See the department web page http://www.uib.no/ii/53061/forskningsgrupper
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicants must hold a PhD in informatics or mathematics, or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the doctoral degree has been awarded.
- Knowledge and experience in informatics is required.
- Solid background in informatics and mathematics. Interest for research in one of the six research groups.
- Personal skills will be emphasized. The candidates must have a great capacity for work and enthusiasm for research.
- The applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner and demonstrate good collaborative skills.
- The applicants must be proficient in both written and oral English
The position of postdoctoral fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. The fixed-term period for this position is 4 years, of which 25 per cent will be comprised of mandatory work, such as teaching and/or administrative tasks. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral fellow at the same institution.
The applicants shall submit a project proposal for the qualifying work which shall comprise a description of the project and a progress plan outline. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
We can offer
- a good and professionally challenging working environment
- salary at pay grade 57 (code 1352/Pay range 24, alternative 1) in the state salary scale. Further increases will be made according to length of service in the position (grades 57-65)
- enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- an inclusive workplace (IW)
- good welfare benefits
- a brief account of the applicants research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- the names and contact information for two referees. One of these must be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- transcripts and diplomas or official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted
- relevant certificates/references
- a project proposal for the qualifying work and a progress plan outline
- list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
Closing date for applications: 1 March 2017.
Additional information on the position can be obtained by contacting the Head of the Department, professor Petter E. Bjørstad, email: Petter.Bjorstad@uib.no.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff to scientific positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request is not met.
For further information about the recruitment process, click here