Sorry, but this job posting is no longer current.
Please search current job opportunities in education, research and development.
academics.com offers the largest choice of jobs and vacancies at universities and research institutes and in Research and Development in industry.
of the Ruhrregion, we develop ideas of the future at our 11 faculties. We are strong in research and teaching, live diversity, support potential and are highly committed to an educational equality that has earned this name. Announcement IVG 2017 A-D The University of Duisburg-Essen (Campus Duisburg) Institute for Combustion and Gas Dynamics (IVG) offers
4 PhD / postdoc positions Full-time 100%
Within the scope of coordinated research projects, four vacancies for committed scientists are to be filled. The projects deal with different aspects of the gas-phase synthesis of nanoparticles in flames in experiment and simulation. The four positions to be filled focus on related topics:
In positions A and B (13 TV-L), the nanoparticle formation process is to be investigated in detail in the course of the combustion of liquid spray and gaseous precursors. The main tasks here are the detailed experimental characterization of droplet, gas, and particle phases, as well as spray evaporation with various measurement techniques such as time-of-flight mass spectrometry, molecular-beam sampling, particle mass spectrometry, and investigations of the deposition of particles on surfaces using quartz microcrystal balance technology. The projects require an intensive scientific exchange with researchers who deal with other aspects of the flame synthesis of particles, such as spray generation and evaporation, optical in situ diagnostics as well as the modeling of all process steps from the entry of the starting materials into the reactor up to the formation of stable particles.
Position C (14 TV-L) deals with the generation of submodels of the processes described above and a complete simulation of scalable nanoparticle synthesis processes in spray flames. The work is done in close collaboration with the above and other experimental work. The massive parallel large-eddy simulation of turbulent flames, combined with simplified or sectional models, is used for the non-stationary, three-dimensional description of aerosol dynamics using high-performance computers.
Position D (13 TV-L) deals with the subsequent functionalization of nanoparticles from flame synthesis. This work includes both separate, wet-chemical processing techniques and, in particular, a direct inline coating of the freshly prepared nanoparticles with gaseous functionalization reagents. In all cases, the aim is to obtain the desired characteristics of designed nanoparticles, such as specific optical and magnetic properties, and to maintain these characteristics after the subsequent functionalization.
From the future employees we expect thorough research and creative thinking. All projects are conducted in close cooperation with other researchers in Germany and abroad. Therefore, the candidates are expected to carry out experiments and evaluations in collaboration.
Detailed description of tasks (for A-D positions):
Salary: TVL-13 (TVL-14 for position C)
- Operation, maintenance and further development of flame reactors for nanoparticle synthesis (A, B)
- Planning and conduction of experiments for specific investigation of specific aspects of spray formation, spray evaporation, precursor chemistry, flame chemistry, and particle formation (A, B)
- Application and further development of measurement methods (time-of-flight and particle mass spectrometry, quartz microcrystal balance, etc.) for the investigation of droplets, gas and particle phases in flame reactors (A, B)
- Planning and conduction of experiments for downstream functionalization of nanoparticles in liquid and gas phase (D)
- Characterization of the materials produced, e.g., with XRD, SEM, TEM, EDX, XPS, Raman, FTIR, BET (D)
- Planning and conducting joint experiments with cooperation partners (in particular experiments based on optical diagnostics) (A, B, D)
- Model and code development, implementation and evaluation of simulations (C)
- Integration and testing of the developments and results of other subprojects within the complete simulation of spray-flame nanoparticle synthesis (C)
- Support for the further development of the standard burner by means of preliminary numerical studies (C)
- Evaluation, discussion, and interpretation of the research results in cooperation with researchers from other cooperating groups (A-D)
- Publication of research results in leading scientific journals (A-D)
- Presentation of project results at international conferences (A-D
- Master’s degree (or equivalent degree) after at least 8 semesters in chemistry, physics, materials engineering or engineering
- Experience in at least two of the following fields:
- Operation of process engineering systems for the production of nanoparticles in the gas phase
- Investigation of materials using mass spectrometric methods
- Functionalization of nanoparticles
- Nanoparticle characterization using the above-mentioned methods
- Data analysis and interpretation of measurement results
- Conduction of chemical reactions
- Simulation of reactive flow processes and particle-particle interactions, if possible time-resolved and in three dimensions
- Programming and application of flow simulation programs
- Good written and spoken English knowledge
- Ability to work independently. In addition, communication and teamwork are a prerequisite for active collaboration in our multidisciplinary research team.
Availability of Position:
Duration of Contract:
as soon as possible
13 TV-L, full time
November 15th 2017
https://www.uni-due.de/ivg/rf/home_chair_ivg.php Please send applications with reference to email@example.com mentioning the position of interest (A-D). The University Duisburg-Essen aims at promoting the diversity of its members (see http://www.uni-due.de/diversity/international.shtml). Applications from disabled or equivalents
according to § 2 Abs. 3 SGB IX are encouraged. The University Duisburg-Essen has been awarded for its effort to promote gender
equality with the "Total-E-Quality-Award". It aims at increasing the share of women
in the scientific personnel and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
Women will be preferentially considered when equally qualified according to the
state equality law.