Sorry, but this job posting is no longer current.
Please search current job opportunities in education, research and development.
academics.com offers the largest choice of jobs and vacancies at universities and research institutes and in Research and Development in industry.
As a member of the Helmholtz Association, Forschungszentrum Jülich makes an effective contribution to solving major challenges facing society in the fields of information, energy, and bioeconomy. It focuses on varied tasks in the area of research management and utilizes large, often unique, scientific infrastructure. Come and work with around 5,900 colleagues across a range of topics and disciplines at one of Europe‘s largest research centres.
The Computational Structural Biology Group at the Institute of Complex Systems 6 (ICS-6) works broadly on methods interpret cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM) data. The group develops computational tools to build atomic models of biomelecules with data from cryo-EM experiments. We also develop new methods for the processing of single-particle cryo-EM Images with a focus on the Analysis of protein dynamics. We apply these techniques in particular on the structure Determination of amyloid fibrils that are involved in neurodegenerative diseases.
We are looking to recruit as soon as possible a
Postdoc in Computational Structural BiologyYour Job:
- Further development of our real-space refinement program DireX, including efficient parallelization
- Using similar tools to also perform novel volume (3D density map) modification approaches, which require highly efficient algorithms
- Further development of our new de novo protein modeling approach EMfasa
- Contribute to the development of new approaches to analyze protein dynamics from cryo-EM data
- Apply the new methods to projects on amyloid structures within the group and to other projects with external collaborators
- PhD in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Computer Science or comparable
- Experience in structural biology and/or modeling and refinement of protein structures and/or molecular dynamics simulations and/or Image processing and 3D reconstructions
- Programming experience with C/C++ and Python
- Method development and application of cryo-EM, which enables strong interaction between theory and Experiment
- A wide range of scientific challenges
- Excellent research infrastructure
- International, interdisciplinary working environment on an attractive research campus, ideally situated between the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Aachen
- A comprehensive further training programme, including English language courses
- Flexible working hours and various opportunities to reconcile work and family life
- Limited for 2 years with possible longer-term prospects
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD)
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
We look forward to receiving your application, preferably via our online recruitment system on our career site until 16.03.2018, quoting the reference number 2018-052.
Tel.:+49 2461 61 9700
Tel.:+49 2461 61 9700
Member of the Helmholtz Assocation