The Albert Einstein Institute in Hannover plays a central role in the development of ground- and space-based instruments for gravitational wave detection and Earth gravity field observation. The "laser interferometry in space" group focuses on LISA, GRACE Follow-On and instrumentation for future mission concepts. More information can be found at https://www.aei.mpg.de/179093/Interferometry_in_Space
We are expanding our team and are looking for a
Post-Doctoral researcherin experimental physics and related fields (computer science, mathematics, electrical engineering, digital signal processing) for projects at the forefront of experimental gravitational physics and instrumentation.
Specific topics include:
- Development of prototypes for LISA optical metrology (experimental, optics)
- Development and testing of the LISA phase measurement system (electronics, DSP)
- Numerical end-to-end simulation of the LISA measurement chain and development of LISA first-stage data processing algorithms
- Characterisation of the GRACE Follow-On Laser Ranging Interferometer in orbit
- Development and experimental verification of optical simulations for complex interferometers (stray light propagation etc.)
- Development and experimental verification of optomechanical accelerometers and associated optical readout techniques
You are highly motivated to work in an international research team and have experience with an excellent track record in two or more of the following research areas:
1. Laser interferometry
2. Optical experiments
3. Optical simulations
4. Analogue & digital electronics
5. digital signal processing (FPGA)
6. Numerical Mathematics
7. Control engineering
Fluency in English and a collaborative team attitude are essential.
Knowledge of German is not required, although we encourage and support learning German.
- Work in an international research environment benefitting from regular interactions with a dedicated project team, as well as the opportunity to benefit from the wide range of expertise at the Albert Einstein Institute.
- Close collaboration with leading international partners in science, industry and space agencies.
- Full time position with competitive salary according to the pay scale of public services in Germany, fully integrated in comprehensive German social security scheme (health insurance, unemployment insurance etc.).
- Initial appointment will be for 2 years.
- Lectures and transferable skills seminars from the top-rated International Max-Planck Research School are available.
- Access to world-class laboratories, workshops, libraries and computing facilities.
If you are interested in joining our research team please submit the following documents to email@example.com by March 31, 2018; use the subject line „Post-Doc Space Interferometry Hannover“. Later applications will also be considered in case the position has not been filled.
- Cover letter stating your research interests and future aspirations (max. 2 pages).
- Curriculum vitae including publication list.
Hausanschrift (street address / address of administration): Wissenschaftspark Golm, Am Mühlenberg 1, 14476 Golm, Germany