Sorry, but this job posting is no longer current.
Please search current job opportunities in education, research and development.
academics.com offers the largest choice of jobs and vacancies at universities and research institutes and in Research and Development in industry.
Post-Doctoral Fellow/Research ScientistThe Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (MPIDR) is accepting applications for a highly qualified Post-Doctoral Fellow or Research Scientist. Organization Since its foundation in 1996, the MPIDR has been enjoying an international reputation as one of the leading demographic research centers in the world. At the MPIDR, an international community of excellent researchers investigates demographic change, aging, fertility, biological demography, and other issues at the forefront of population research. Job Description The post-doc / research scientist will carry out research within the Max Planck Research Group: Gender Gaps in Health and Survival. His/her research will focus on investigating gender differences in health and mortality by ethnic background, and on examining the respective roles of social position, civil status and reproduction in driving these differences. The research interests of the group also encompass health trends at older ages, determinants of long-term care use, cohort differences in health at older ages, and related topics. The post-doc may also be asked to help teach some courses, co-supervise PhD students, organize workshops and lectures, and assist in the daily running of the group. Knowledge of German is not a requirement. Qualifications/Requirements
- a PhD in epidemiology/public health, demography, sociology, statistics, or related fields
- a strong publication record (depending on career stage)
- strong quantitative skills and experience with individual-level data analysis
- a keen interest in health and mortality research and in working with large longitudinal data, such as register data
- a clear research plan, and a clear idea of how this plan fits within the overall research profile of the group
- the ability to work equally well independently and in a collaborative setting
- an excellent command of English, both in writing and in speaking
- an international network or a record of international collaboration is an advantage
- a detailed CV (incl. honors, awards, and publications)
- a two-page motivation letter that provides a clear picture of your current research activities and future research plans, describes how your interests align with the group’s interests, and explains how you meet the selection criteria for this position
- full contact information (e-mail and mail addresses) of two references