Sorry, but this job posting is no longer current.
Please search current job opportunities in education, research and development.
academics.com offers the largest choice of jobs and vacancies at universities and research institutes and in Research and Development in industry.
PhD Student (w/m)
"Measurement of vertical profiles within the atmosphere by
miniaturised sensors on-board of a serial drone"
The vertical distribution of trace gases and aerosols within the lower troposphere can vary significantly with height and time of the day. Recent developments of serial drones provide the feasibility for a mobile exploration of the vertical trace gas distribution within the atmosphere. However, the application of serial drones requires the development and use of miniaturised sensors. This project comprises the specification and application of miniaturised sensors for the vertical profile dependent measurement of trace gases and meteorological parameters on-board of an ultra-lightweight serial drone.
Your tasks are especially to:
- adapt newly developed sensors with respect to weight, time resolution, selectivity, sensitivity and power consumption to the requirements of a serial drone and atmospheric conditions
- optimize the electronic accessories and the data acquisition
- test and characterize the miniaturised sensors in the lab
- apply the sensors on-board of a drone for atmospheric measurements of trace gases and aerosols
- compare vertical profiles measured to those of the meteorological tower of the research centre Jülich
- Master‘s degree in physics, metrology or a related field with good final grade (German system equivalent 2.0 or better)
- knowledge in atmospheric science is helpful
- good skills in the spoken and written English language
- excellent scientific environment and technical facilities
- opportunities of being part of the national and international scientific community
- broad spectrum of training in the Graduate School HITEC (http://www.hitec-graduate-school.de/) and the Forschungszentrum Jülich
- international, interdisciplinary working environment on an attractive research campus, ideally situated between the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf and Aachen
- limited for 3 years
- salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD)
Tel.:+49 2461 61 9700