Sorry, but this job posting is no longer current.
Please search current job opportunities in education, research and development.
academics.com offers the largest choice of jobs and vacancies at universities and research institutes and in Research and Development in industry.
2 PhD students in Structural
Employment level: Time limited employment (temporary)
Location: Department of Chemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Gothenburg
Apply by: 2018-01-31
The Department of Chemistry and Molecular Biology at the University of Gothenburg (Sweden) is looking for a
2 PhD students in Structural Biology/Biophysics
with special focus on protein structural dynamics.
- Full time positions with highly competitive salary and full health and social benefits.
- Placed in an international, well funded, and active research division with approximately 40-50 students and researchers.
- Part of Westenhoff‘s ERC project "MolStrucDyn". You will be investigating molecular rearrangements in proteins, which are essential for light reception in plants, animals and bacteria.
We are looking for two highly motivated doctoral students within Westenhoff¨s ERC project "MolStrucDyn" and his VR project "Structural intermediates of cryptochromes and photolyases visualized by serial femtosecond X-ray crystallography".
The objectives of the projects are to determine structural changes in photosensor proteins and understand their mechanism of action. You will use cutting edge techniques such as time-resolved serial crystallography using X-ray pulses from Free Electron Laser (XFEL) sources to reach these goals.
You are expected to be involved in all steps of the project, i.e. to prepare and perform experiments and to analyze and publish the data. The choice of sub-project will be adjusted to the successful candidate‘s interest and experiences.
Working duties may include, but are not limited to:
- planning, preparation, and implementation of time-resolved X-ray diffraction experiments at free electron laser sources.
- protein production and crystal optimization
- structure determination
- identification and publication of the results
- international scientific collaboration within and outside the group
Candidate, Eligibility, and Assessment
As a competitive candidate you
- hold a degree (Masters/ or equivalent, see official job announcement for more details)
- have documented research experience in biochemistry, structural biology, or an area related to the project.
- have the proven ability to work independently and result-driven in a research project.
- are a dynamic team player.
More details can be found on the official job announcement on our webpage.
PhD positions at the University of Gothenburg are full-time placements with competitive salaries and full health and social insurances. The University applies a local agreement on salaries of graduate students.
Additional funding for travel expenses, participation in conferences, training sessions, or other activity related to the project will be made available.
Please apply online at:
The application shall include:
- Cover letter with an explanation of why you apply for the position
- CV including scientific publications (if any)
- Copy of exam certificate
- Two referees (name, telephone no, relation)
Please contact Sebastian Westenhoff, professor, firstname.lastname@example.org , 0766183936 for specific questions regarding the position.
Göran Hilmersson, Head of Department +46 (0) 31-786 9022, email@example.com Martin Billeter, Director of third cycle education, +46(0) 31-786 3925, firstname.lastname@example.org Helena Bergkvist, Human Resources Administrator +46 (0) 31-786 9116, email@example.com
The Department of chemistry and molecular biology at the University of Gothenburg carries out research and graduate education, which comprises a wide scientific field from the atomic and molecular levels all the way through cells to intact organisms. Much of the phenomena studied here impact on our natural environment and living systems. We participate in undergraduate programs in chemistry, molecular biology, medicinal chemistry, biology, marine sciences, and pharmacy. A third cycle education at our department will lead to a Ph.D. in Natural sciences, or Natural sciences with a specialization in Chemistry. Ph.D. studies comprises four years at the post graduate level. The time period can be extended to 5 years in total through teaching and/or other departmental duties.
Union representatives at the University of Gothenburg:
The University of Gothenburg promotes equal opportunities, equality and diversity.
Salaries for doctoral students are regulated in a local agreement at the University.
Applications will be destroyed or returned (upon request) two years after the decision of employment has become final. Applications from the employed and from those who appeal the decision will not be returned.