Sorry, but this job posting is no longer current.
Please search current job opportunities in education, research and development.
academics.com offers the largest choice of jobs and vacancies at universities and research institutes and in Research and Development in industry.
PhD position in Marie Sklodowska-Curie
ITN FBI (V36.2733)
Departments Department of Electrical Engineering
Date off 12/12/2016
Reference number V36.2733
Department of Electrical Engineering
The Department of Electrical Engineering teaches highly motivated Masters of Science, designers and doctoral candidates, and carries out breakthrough research in its field. The department has three spearheads: Connected World, Care and Cure, and Smart Sustainable Systems. These themes are reflected in the departments nine teaching chairs.
PhD position in the Marie Sklodowska-Curie ITN FBI "The Future of Biomedical Imaging": Postgraduate Research on an integrated tunable laser for swept source optical coherence tomography"
The PhD candidate will investigate and implement a tunable semiconductor laser system that is to be applied in an optical imaging technique named swept source optical coherence tomography (OCT). The laser system will be fully integrated on a single chip using indiumphosphide photonic integration technology. The tuning mechanism will be based on a concept that has been demonstrated to enable a record wavelength tuning range of the laser. The challenge is to obtain a laser system that can be used for OCT. To achieve this all physical aspects of the control of the laser have to analyzed, a new laser and control system has to be designed and demonstrated in OCT imaging. The design and fabrication of the device will be in collaboration with the company Smart Photonics, based in Eindhoven. The laser system will be tested for the OCT application in collaboration with the Medical University of Vienna.
We are looking for candidates who are interested in the application of semiconductor lasers, optics, the physics of semiconductor laser dynamics and its components as well as programming a control system. Successful candidates should have good writing and documentation skills, good analytical and research capabilities and excellent communication skills. They must be able to organize their own work well and set and pursue their goals independently. The candidate will collaborate with the other members of the Photonic Integration group in Eindhoven and with a research team at the Medical University of Vienna. In the third year of the project an extended stay of approximately 6 months in Vienna is planned for experiments applying the laser in OCT experiments.
We are looking for candidates with a MSc diploma in Electrical Engineering, Physics or Applied Physics, preferawith not more than four years in research after the graduation, and with good skills in programming tools. Conditions of employment
- a challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university and a stimulating internationally renowned research environment;
- full-time temporary appointment for 4 years;
- gross salary between € 2.191,00 and € 2.801,00;
- an extensive package of fringe benefits (e.g. excellent technical infrastructure, the possibility of child care and excellent sports facilities);
- On top of the normal conditions you will receive the Marie Curie benefits.
- For more information about the project and any informal enquiries, please contact dr. Erwin Bente (email@example.com) or prof. dr. Kevin Williams (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- For information concerning employment conditions you can contact Mrs. T.A.M. van Waterschoot-Martens (email@example.com).
- More information on employment conditions can be found here: http://www.tue.nl/en/university/working-at-tue/working-conditions/ .
If interested, please use ‘apply now‘-button at the top of this page. You should upload the following (in English):
- a detailed curriculum vitae, a letter of motivation and portfolio with relevant work;
- a cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position;
- a detailed Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications and key achievements in research project(s));
- contact information of two references;
- copies of diplomas with course grades;
The recruitment procedure will implement the principles set out in the Commission Recommendation on the "European Charter for Researchers"; and the "Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers". Please note that for this position the fundamental principle of the a ‘mobility rule‘ has to be observed: the candidate did not reside or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the Netherlands for more than 12 months in the three years immediately prior to the recruitment date.
A general description of the overall project FBI can be found in the Project website: http://fbi-itn.eu/.
Typical recruitment procedure will involve a skype meeting, followed by a face to face interview with a presentation to the group in the second stage.
Please keep in mind; you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB eac