The Leibniz Institute for Crystal Growth (IKZ) is a leading research institution in the area of crystal growth of technologically important materials for micro-, opto- and power electronics, sensors, optics and laser technology. This ranges from explorative fundamental research to pre-industrial development. It is part of Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. and a member of the Leibniz Association. You may find more details at www.ikz-berlin.de. We are presently offering a
PhD Position (m/f)for the topic:
"Development of Crystal Growth process for high-purity Germanium crystals for radiation detectors"The position is part of a project for development of high-purity Germanium detectors for the purpose of neutrino-less double beta decay search. The role of IKZ is to optimize the crystal growth process for detector grade high purity Germanium. Job description:
- The successful candidate is expected to work on the development of zone refinement and Czochralski crystal growth process of Germanium with the existing apparatus.
- Analyses Germanium crystals for crystal defects and impurities.
- Based on the results makes proposal for the optimization of the growth process and improvement of the apparatus.
- Studies the growth parameters using simulation tools.
- Presents the results at international conferences and in scientific journals.
- Applicants must have a master degree in physics or engineering in a related field with relevant experience.
- Basic knowledge in the field of growth and characterization of semiconductor crystals.
- Good English language skills written and oral.
- Good experimental skills and interest in applied sciences.
We await your informative application with reference to the job number K14/17, including the usual documents, by January 22nd, 2018. Please send them to: