Sorry, but this job posting is no longer current.
Please search current job opportunities in education, research and development.
academics.com offers the largest choice of jobs and vacancies at universities and research institutes and in Research and Development in industry.
For its new Central Technology Support Unit (TPF),
the Faculty of Human Sciences at the University of Bern,
Switzerland, seeks applications for a
Lead (Systems/Software) Engineer (m/f)The TPF ("Technologie-Plattform-Forschung") supports human behavioral research projects by providing custom software and/or hardware solutions. The TPF compiles project-specific requirements in direct contact with senior researchers across the Institutes of Psychology, Sport Science and Education Science, while its centralized structure ensures exploitation of cross-institutional synergies (e.g. by a common codebase for key algorithms and knowledge exchange). The research projects range from laboratory-based behavioral experiments to field studies with varying degrees of technology. Our laboratories are equipped (among others) with virtual reality, motion-capture systems, force and motion platforms, EEG and eye-tracking devices. In field studies from centralized database solutions (e.g. for online surveys) to distributed apps on mobile devices are utilized. The TPF will finally comprise four full positions with complementary competences (e.g. coordination, requirements engineering, software, hardware, testing), whereas the successful applicant for the current position will be responsible for the whole process as the lead (systems/software) engineer within the development team. Your main responsibilities
- communicate with senior researchers across the institutes to identify project requirements, ensure exploitation of cross-institutional synergies and develop robust system architectures and solutions
- coordinate the whole system development process as the lead (systems/software) engineer within the development team
- system design, realization, testing, documentation and maintenance across different hardware platforms
- excellent coordination, communication and problem-solving skills, team orientation, experienced/comfortable working in a research environment
- strong background in (systems) engineering or software engineering with a focus on the whole system (including hardware)
- knowledge of Unix/Linux, Windows and mobile operating systems
- programming experience in C/C++ and/or Java and script-based languages (Ruby, Python); experience with scientific software (Matlab, R) is a plus