The University of Siegen is an innovative institution with an emphasis on an interdisciplinary orientation and has about 20,000 students and 2,000 employees, including 1,200 academic positions. There is a broad spectrum of departments, ranging from liberal arts, social sciences, and economics through to natural sciences and engineering, and the University of Siegen provides an outstanding teaching and research environment with numerous inter/transdisciplinary research projects. The University of Siegen offers diverse options for combining professional and family life. For this reason, it has been certified as a family-friendly university since 2006 and provides a dual career service. Starting on October 1st 2017,
four doctoral posts in cultural and social
studies (media research)
(salary category TV-L 13, 65 %)are available at the University of Siegen in the German Research Foundation (DFG) Graduate School, GRK 1769 "Locating Media", for the fixed-term period of three years, with the possibility for extension. The duration of the contract complies with the Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz. Locating Media
The Graduate School "Locating Media" was set up in 2012 and has focused on researching historical and current media practices ’in motion’ and ’in situ’. The main objective of "Locating Media” is to facilitate a methodological re-orientation of interdisciplinary media research by engaging with locational and situational analyses and the development of new methods for the analysis and design of mobile digital media. In the second phase of funding, the existing expertise in ethnographic methodologies will be expanded to include digital and mobile methods, to investigate the increased mobility and distributed spatiality of media and data processes. The German Research Foundation (DFG) Graduate School provides an international environment for inventive and interdisciplinary media research by offering an intensive training programme, joint events with collaboration partners, training in relevant ethnographic, digital and mobile methods and the possibility of field research and research abroad. The research program will be realised in close collaboration with international partners and supporters, such as the Digital Ethnography Research Centre in Melbourne (RMIT), the Digital Methods Initiative (University of Amsterdam), the Centre for Interdisciplinary Methodologies (Warwick University), Centre for Science Studies and Mobilities Lab at Lancaster University and other collaborators. More information on the profile and program can be found here: www.locatingmedia.uni-siegen.de Job description:
- independent conceptual design and implementation of a research project in one of the subject areas of Locating Media.
- participation in the Graduate School events including workshops, international conferences, intensive workshops and summer schools.
- regular presentation of interim findings of individual research projects during internal events (Research Colloquium, Lecture Series) and conferences.
- a relevant postgraduate degree (Magister, Master or Diploma) in one of the following areas of study: media studies, ethnology, geography, history, information science, science of art, cultural studies, literary studies, linguistics, political science, sociology or Science and Technology Studies.
- outstanding scholarly achievements.
- research project in one of the areas of study listed above (5-page project prospectus including timetable).
- interest in media research methods as well as an affinity for interdisciplinary research.
- willingness to participate in the international event programme of the Graduate School.
Homepage: www.uni-siegen.de/locatingmedia Please send application documents (CV, copies of diplomas and certificates, letter of recommendation from a professor concerning the research project, approx. 10-page project prospectus, including task schedule) in duplicate by 31.03.2017 with reference number 2016/I/Locating Media/WM/270 to the program address: Dr. Pablo Abend, Universität Siegen, DFG-Graduiertenkolleg "Locating Media", Artur-Woll-Haus, Am Eichenhang 50, 57076 Siegen, Germany. Information on the University of Siegen is available online: www.uni-siegen.de