Sorry, but this job posting is no longer current.
Please search current job opportunities in education, research and development.
academics.com offers the largest choice of jobs and vacancies at universities and research institutes and in Research and Development in industry.
Associate or Assistant Professor (Tenure Track position) Geodata ScienceSpecifications
Professors, associate professors, assistant professors and lecturers
Natural Sciences, Engineering
38.0 hours per week
€ 3475 - € 5861
University of Twente (UT)
Thanks to the digital, mobile and IT revolutions, massive amounts of data are nowadays available at unprecedented spatial, temporal, and thematic scales. Hence, for most applications, data availability is becoming less of an issue. However, the development of methodological approaches that can deal with these massive and heterogeneous datasets remains challenging.
- You will conduct international high-quality research and contribute to developing a research network, leading a strong and visible research line on the use of BigGeodata technologies to process massive and heterogeneous datasets.
- You will also further integrate Big Geodata computational skills within the department.
- You will teach Masters level coursework, supervise MSc theses and contribute to the development of new courses including face-to-face, blended learning, and distance learning, based on open source and cloud computing solutions.
- You will supervise PhD students in combination with a departmental professor and will engage in acquisition and implementation of consulting tasks for the department.
- You will undertake management and/or administrative tasks within the department and will initiate and acquire new research and educational projects.
- You possess a PhD in geographic information or data science, or in a topic related to the three GIP core domains (see below).
- You have particular expertise in least two of the following three core domains of the GIP department: geodata engineering (e.g. linked data, NoSQL, and distributed processing environments), geovisualization (e.g. interactive dashboards, web mapping, 3D, and augmented or virtual reality) and spatio-temporal analytics (e.g. online and deep learning or other scalable approaches to build data-driven models using artificial intelligence and/or machine learning).
- You have an excellent publication record in the above domains or application areas
- You are a team player able to combine and extend the current knowledge and know-how on these departmental domains
- You have a successful track record in attracting funds to support your research.
- You have an aptitude for teaching, including lecturing and tutoring at an academic level. If you do not have it yet, you will have to acquire a University Teaching Qualification within the first two years.
- You have an affinity with a multi-cultural, post-graduate education environment.
- You have a willingness to undertake international travel to less developed countries.
- You have an excellent command of English. Knowledge of, or willingness to learn Dutch is an advantage.
Additional information regarding the position can be obtained from Prof. Dr. M.J. Kraak (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +31 53 4874463). You are also invited to visit our homepage.
Please submit your application before 1 October, 2017 (choose "apply here" below). Your application has to include (i) a motivation letter clearly stating how you meet the selection criteria and also outlining your research and teaching interests and (ii) a detailed CV with references.
A public guest lecture to the ITC-staff will be part of the selection. A development assessment could be part of the selection also.
Conditions of employment
We offer an inspiring and challenging international environment. You will be initially employed for a period of six years (Tenure Track position, starting as Assistant Professor 2 or 1) or 3 years (starting as Associate Professor 2), according to proven expertise and skills.
- Gross monthly salary between € 3475,- and € 5861,- depending on experience and qualifications (job profile Assistant Professor level 2 or 1, job profile Associate Professor 2).
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%
- Excellent support for research and facilities for professional and personal development.
- A solid pension scheme
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave
- Minimum of 29 holiday hours in case of full-time employment
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which drives change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university in the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. The University of Twente has a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out pioneering research.
The Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) of the University of Twente provides international postgraduate education, research and project services in the field of geo-information science and earth observation using remote sensing and GIS. The aim of ITC’s activities is the international exchange of knowledge, focusing on capacity building and institutional development in developing countries and emerging economies.