A Jointventure of
Getting Started
A | A | A

Do I have to speak fluent German?

The language normally used in German research institutes is English. But there are good reasons why you should at least gain a basic knowledge of German before you come here.

Do I have to speak fluent German?© ioannis kounadeas - Fotolia.com
After all, you will want to be able to communicate with others in your everyday life and spare time. For this reason, we recommend that you, and any members of your family accompanying you, attend a language course in your home country. The Goethe Institute offers language courses in many countries all over the world.

You can also, of course, attend a language course in Germany and broaden your knowledge of German here. Appropriate courses are available at universities, language schools and also some research institutes. It is also possible that all or part of the cost may be paid for you.


Next question: Do I need a visa? If so, how do I apply for one?»

DAAD» :: August 2008