A Jointventure of
Getting Started
A | A | A

Are there any additional social security payments?

If you have been granted a research fellowship, you are exempt from paying social security contributions.

Are there any additional social security payments?© ioannis kounadeas - Fotolia.com
However, if you have been employed in Germany, these contributions are compulsory. They cover pension, unemployment, private nursing, and accident insurance and are normally split 50/50 between the employer and the employee. An exception to this is statutory accident insurance, which the employer pays in full. Contributions to your social security insurance will be deducted at source from your gross earnings and arranged directly by the employer, who will register you with your chosen health insurance company». The health insurance company will then inform all the other social security departments.


Next question: Will I be liable for tax?»

DAAD» :: August 2008