University Assistant (post doc) at the Research Group Data Mining and Machine Learning
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 178 fields of study, approx. 9.800 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
University Assistant (post doc)
at the Research Group Data Mining and Machine Learning
Reference number: 11610
The new work group led by Prof. Benjamin Roth is jointly located at the Research Group Data Mining (Faculty of Computer Science), and the Faculty of Philological and Cultural Studies, with several interdisciplinary PhD and Postdoc positions in the areas of machine learning for natural language processing and computational linguistics.
This opening is a Postdoctoral Researcher position at the Faculty of Computer Science, and the candidate will work with Benjamin Roth in the area of deep learning for natural language processing.
Possible research topics are:
- Weak supervision of natural language processing models
- Extraction of structured information from text, linking knowledge graphs and language
- Identification of meta-attributes, such as authorship
- Extraction of linguistic information
The group is well-equipped to cover conference travel and other research-related expenses. The Postdoctoral Researcher will have access to excellent compute facilities (such as GPU servers).
Active participation in research, teaching and administration. This involves
- Developing and strengthening the independent research profile
- Involvement in research projects / research studies
- International publications and presentations
- Responsibility for project applications and the acquisition of third-party funding
- Preparing / writing a (publication-ready) habilitation thesis
- Independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- Supervision of students
- Participation in evaluation measures and quality assurance
- Involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration
- Doctoral degree/PhD degree
- Strong publication record in top-tier international conferences.
- Strong background in mathematics, statistics and/or machine learning
- Background in linguistics or experience in applying natural language processing techniques
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Experience in the supervision of student projects or theses, and/or other mentoring, leadership or teaching experience
- Self-motivation, attention to detail, and a drive to produce high-quality work
- Letter of motivation
- Academic curriculum vitae (including a list of publications, a list of courses and a list of talks given)
- Description of research interests and research agenda / of the intended habilitation project (if applicable)
- Contact details of two referees who can provide a letter of reference
- Relevant degree certificates and transcripts.
Main research field
Special research fields
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 24.01.2021, mentioning reference number 11610.
For further information please contact Roth, Benjamin +43-1-4277-79513.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.