University Assistant (post doc) at the Department of Meteorology and Geophysics
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 178 fields of study, approx. 9.800 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 18.03.2021 of a
University Assistant (post doc)
at the Department of Meteorology and Geophysics
Reference number: 11630
The Section of Geophysics is looking for a highly motivated and creative person to fill a position of university assistant/postdoc in seismology. The successful candidate will perform research, analyzing data from seismological and infrasound networks. Our main research contexts are regional geodynamics, seismic hazard, seismoacoustic waves, and nuclear verification, while the international research context for the successful candidate will be given by the international AlpArray and the upcoming AdriaArray projects. Some specific topics of interest are subsurface structure, and using ambient noise techniques to better understand it. Our short-period instrument pool (Fairfields) and infrasound sensors are also available.
The Vienna region has much to offer for geophysical research, e.g., the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO), and Austrian partner institutions and companies involved with technology development and transfer. The region also has active subsurface deformation and thus a need to better understand seismic hazard in this populated area.
We require active participation in research, teaching and administration - in particular in the departmental research program in the field of seismology.
The candidate is expected to contribute to one or more of the above mentioned main research contexts. New technological developments are highly welcome, for addressing questions of fundamental research and/or industrial application.
Furthermore the candidate is expected to teach courses independently as defined by the collective agreement, and to supervise students at the various levels. Teaching will be in English.
- PhD / Doctoral degree in Geophysics, or - if in a neighbouring field - experience in seismology.
- We assume an interest in field experiments, in handling the data, and in the related data analysis and interpretation.
- Advanced computer capabilities are indispensable, as is the ability to work in a research group.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of the German language would be an advantage.
- Experience with handling massive datasets, knowledge of python and seismological software (e.g., obspy) will be a plus.
- Letter of motivation
- Academic curriculum vitae (including a list of publications, a list of courses and a list of talks given)
- Description of research interests and research agenda
- Contact details of people who could provide a letter of reference.
Main research field
Special research fields
General geophysics;Applied geophysics
Physics, Mechanics, Astronomy
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 31.01.2021, mentioning reference number 11630.
For further information please contact Weinberger, Stefanie +43-1-4277-53709.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.