To strengthen our team in the division "Synthesis and Scattering of Nano-Structured Materials"
in Berlin-Steglitz, starting 01.06.2023, we are looking for a
Postdoctoral research associate (m/f/d) in the field of physics, computer science, mathematics, electronics/mechatronics or equivalent
Salary group 13 TVöD
Temporary contract until 31.05.2026
Full-time / suitable as part-time employment
The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM) is a materials research organization in Germany. Our mission is to ensure safety in technology and chemistry.
We perform research and testing in materials science, materials engineering and chemistry to improve the safety of products and processes. At BAM we do research that matters. Our
work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
Your responsibilities include:
Independent scientific work on the EU-funded STOP project (Surface Transfer of Pathogens, Horizon 2020). The goal of the project is to synthesize, characterize and optimize antimicrobial nanoparticles to be used as coatings for touch-sensitive surfaces to limit the transfer of pathogens.
Specific tasks include:
- Analysis and quantification of nanomaterials and nanocomposites (deposited on the surface) by using advanced X-ray scattering (including diffraction)
- Performing the studies using small angle X-ray scattering preferably in grazing incidence geometry
- Systematic sample preparation in the robotic laboratory
- Advance the laboratory's high standards of data management, including contributions to the open-source code base for data organization, acquisition, correction, and analysis
- Communication and cooperation with project partners
- Participation in project meetings and conferences
- Making project results available in public (FAIR) repositories
- Publication of results and inventions by means of lectures and publications
- Successfully completed university studies (master's degree/diploma) and a good doctorate in physics, computer science, mathematics, electronics/mechatronics or equivalent
- Solid experience with small angle scattering and/or X-ray diffraction, preferably in grazing incidence geometry
- Profound Python knowledge
- Experience in the development of small devices and sample holders
- Experience with studies in grazing incidence geometry
- Several first authorships of scientific papers
- Very good knowledge of German and English, both written and spoken
- Good communication and information behaviour, goal-oriented and structured way of working, initiative/commitment and ability to make decisions as well as ability to work in a team and willingness to cooperate
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface of politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Flexible working hours and mobile working
We welcome applications via the online application form
. Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, quoting the reference number 37/23-6.5
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung
Referat Z.3 – Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
Dr. Brian Richard Pauw will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have. Please get in touch via the telephone number +49 30 8104‑3361
and/or by email to Brian.Pauw@bam.de
BAM pursues the goal of professional equality between women and men. We therefore particularly welcome applications from women. In addition, BAM supports the integration of severely disabled persons and therefore especially welcomes their applications. With regard to the fulfilment of the job advertisement requirements, the application documents are examined individually. Recognised severely disabled persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally suitable.
The advertised position requires a low level of physical aptitude.
BAM actively supports the compatibility of work and family and has
been certified as a family- and life-phase-conscious employer by the
"audit berufundfamilie" since 2015.