With around 44,000 students and 5,700 employees, the Johann Wolfgang Goethe-University in Frankfurt am Main is one of the largest universities in Germany. Founded in 1914 by Frankfurt’s citizens and since 2008 in the legal form of a foundation, Goethe-University has a high degree of independence, modernity and professional diversity. As a comprehensive university, the Goethe-University Frankfurt offers more than 150 courses of study on five campuses in a total of 16 faculties and at the same time possesses outstanding research strength.
The Professorship of Religious Studies (Jewish-Islamic Relations)
in the Faculty of Protestant Theology of Goethe-University Frankfurt am Main offers the position of a
Postdoc (100 %) or Academic Associate (65 % part-time) (m/f/d) (E 13 TV-G-U)
starting at the next possible date
for a duration of three years. The salary grade is based on the job characteristics of the collective agreement applicable to Goethe University (TV-G-U).
- conducting your own research (writing a dissertation or postdoctoral thesis, i.e., habilitation) on Jewish-Islamic or Jewish-Christian-Islamic relations in the Near East
- working on research projects of the professorship using innovative digital tools
- limited teaching activities in the framework of the professorship’s course offerings
- administrative and organizational activities, in particular public outreach (e.g., assisting in organizing conferences and events), coordinating the collaboration of the professorship with other faculties, and participating in academic selfgovernment
- a completed university degree in religious studies or theology or, alternatively, in an area of cultural studies, history, or philology that is especially relevant for researching religious communities in the Near East (e.g., Near/Middle Eastern studies, Islamic studies, Judaic studies, Near Eastern Christianity)
- proficiency in one or more Near Eastern languages (Arabic, Hebrew, or Syriac-Aramaic), very good English proficiency (C1), and the willingness to acquire German proficiency to a C1 level (if you have not yet done so)
- a passion to apply highly innovative digital approaches to your research and, preferably, experience in digital projects
The Goethe University is committed to a policy of providing equal employment opportunities for both men and women alike, and therefore encourages particularly women to apply for the position/s offered. Individuals with severe disability will be prioritized in case of equal aptitiude and ability.
Applications in English or German with supporting documents (cover letter with a description of the dissertation or habilitation project; CV including language competency and publication list; a short publication or seminar paper; contact information for two academic or work-related references; certificates) should be submitted in electronic form until 31.03.2023
to the Dean of the Faculty of Protestant Theology, Prof. Dr. David Käbisch, Norbert-Wollheim-Platz 1, 60323 Frankfurt am Main (by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submitted documents cannot be returned; therefore, please send only duplicates of certificates, diplomas, etc. Further information on the position can be obtained from Dr. Nathan Gibson via the Dean’s office. The documents of unsuccessful applicants will be destroyed after the selection process is concluded.