Founded in 1607, Justus Liebig University Giessen (JLU) is a research university rich in tradition. Inspired by curiosity about the unknown, we enable around 28,000 students and 5,700 employees to advance science for society. Join us in breaking new ground and writing success stories - your own and those of our university.
Two research groups
at the Justus Liebig University Giessen (JLU) are currently accepting applications for part-time positions (65 %) from May 1st, 2023 as a
PhD student (m/f/d) in the field of Virology/Gastroenterology
The positions are part of the collaborative project "Mechanisms of hepatic pathogenesis and carcinogenesis in Schistosoma mansoni/hepatitis B virus coinfection" and are to be filled on a fixed-term basis in accordance with § 2 WissZeitVG and § 72 HessHG with the opportunity for own academic qualification at the Department of Gastroenterology and the Institute of Medical Virology at the Faculty of Medicine. The project is funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG). The salary is in accordance with the collective labour agreement of the State of Hessen (E 13 TV-H).
As long as the maximum permissible duration of a fixed-term contract is not exceeded, you will be employed for a period of 3 years.
The main goal of this basic science project is to analyze how parasitic/viral co-infections with Schistosoma mansoni/hepatitis B virus are involved in pathogenesis and carcinogenesis of the liver.
1. Department of Gastroenterology
Reference number: 149/11
Your task at a glance
Your qualifications and competences
- Design and performance of in vivo, ex vivo and in vitro experiments concerning S. mansoni infection.
- Independent analysis of experimental results, preparation of scientific talks and papers and presentation of the work at scientific congresses.
Our offer to you
- A university degree in biology (MSc), biomedicine (MSc), biochemistry (MSc), medicine, veterinary medicine, or equivalent
- Very good knowledge in molecular biology and cell biology
- Experience with cell cultures, histology, in vivo techniques, physiology
- Knowledge in the field of liver diseases and transgenic mice is an advantage but not required
- Extraordinary level of autonomy, initiative, analytical thinking and ability to work in a team
- The project involves work in a biosafety level 3 laboratory for which a documented protective immunity against hepatitis B virus is required
- A certificate in laboratory animal science (FELASA B) would be advantageous
- Integration into an innovative research project
- Interdisciplinary collaboration with excellent scientists
- Opportunity to develop a scientific profile with the opportunity to do a doctorate
- A varied job with flexible working hours
- Free use of local public transport (LandesTicket Hessen)
- More than 100 training seminars, workshops and e-learning opportunities per year for personal development, as well as a wide range of health and sports activities
- Remuneration according to TV-H, company pension scheme, child allowance and special payments
- Good compatibility of family and career (certificate "audit familiengerechte hochschule")
JLU aims to employ more women in academic research. We therefore particularly encourage female candidates to apply. JLU is regarded as a family-friendly university. Applicants with children are very welcome. Applications from disabled people of equal aptitude will be given preference.
You want to break new ground with us?
Apply via our online form
by March 30th, 2023,
indicating the above reference number. We look forward to receiving your application.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Martin Roderfeld (firstname.lastname@example.org