The group of Dr. Katherine E. Bohnsack, Institute for Molecular Biology, University Medical Center Göttingen opens a position as:
PhD student in Molecular Biology (f/m/d)
The planned start is in July 2023 or later. The position is available for 3 years and further extension is anticipated., approx. 25 h/week | salary according to TV-L
The University Medical Center Göttingen is a tertiary care center and offers great development potential. Its 7,900 employees work in over 65 departments and facilities to provide top-quality patient care, excellent research and modern teaching. Göttingen, “City of Science”, located near the center of Germany, the University Medical Center Göttingen is embedded in the city’s attractive network of scientific research facilities.
The position is funded through the German Research Foundation (DFG) in the context of the Collaborative Research Centre 1565 (Molecular mechanisms and interplay of gene expression processes) with the aim to better understand the roles and regulation of ribonucleases during the cellular stress response.
Gene expression determines the characteristic features of different cells and tissues. Dynamic regulation of gene expression is essential for cellular adaptation in response to changing conditions but is also the molecular basis of numerous diseases. Our research group aims to understand mechanisms of gene expression regulation. RNA processing and decay are key aspects of gene expression mediated by ribonucleases. We explore ribonuclease functions using a broad spectrum of leading-edge methods from the fields of biochemistry, cell and molecular biology, including various highthroughput transcriptomics and proteomics approaches. Our lab is embedded in the excellent, international context of the Göttingen Campus allowing a dynamic, stimulating and collaborative working environment.
- Developing a research project studying the functions ribonucleases and elucidating mechanisms of regulation
- Using diverse experimental methods, including human cell culture, genome editing, molecular biology, RNA analyses, fluorescence microscopy, recombinant protein expression/purification, in vitro biochemical assays
- Generating and analysing transcriptomic datasets
- Motivated and enthusiastic researcher, interested in developing a scientific project
- MSc degree in molecular or cell biology, biochemistry or a related subject Experience with standard molecular biology and biochemistry techniques as well as a practical background in RNA biology
- Experience with or interest in bioinformatics is advantageous
- Ability to work independently and also in a team
- Good command of the English language
- Working in a highly motivated, young, and skilled team
- An interdisciplinary, innovative, and well-equipped scientific environment
- An extensive range of research training courses
- Salary according to the collective agreement for the public State service (TV-L) including social benefits
Please send the PDF file of your application including your CV, exam certificates and list of publications, a summary of your current scientific work and names of three academic referees by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications need to be received by June 11th, 2023. Only applicants selected for interview will be contacted after the application deadline.
The University Medical Center Göttingen is committed to professional equality. We therefore seek to increase the proportion of under-represented genders. Applicants with disabilities and equal qualifications will be given preferential treatment.
We look forward to receiving your application by June 11th, 2023