Doctoral Student in Sociology, Social Movements & Climate Change
(part-time 65 %, pay scale E 13 TV-L, 1 + 3 years)
Reference No. 2022/026. The working group of “Sociology & Social Movements” as part of the Cluster of Excellence “The Politics of Inequality” invites applications for a doctoral position for a duration of up to 48 months starting in May 2022.
The University of Konstanz is one of eleven Universities of Excellence in Germany. Since 2007 it has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative and its follow-up programme, the Excellence Strategy.
The Cluster of Excellence “The Politics of Inequality”
investigates how people perceive inequalities, how they lead to collective mobilization, and how political actors respond to them.
The newly founded research group on Sociology
with a focus on social movements (Jun.-Prof. Dr. Sebastian Koos) is looking for a highly motivated PhD student to work in a planned research project on “Climate Change, Social Inequality and Protest in the Global South”. The successful applicant will be affiliated with the working group and participate in the doctoral program at the Cluster of Excellence and the University of Konstanz’ Graduate School of the Social and Behavioural Sciences.
- Interest in research on climate change and political mobilization
- Willingness to do field research in the Global South
- Master degree in Sociology or related field
- Knowledge of quantitative methods/ survey research
- Excellent English writing and communication skills
- Ability to work constructively and effectively as part of a research team
- Participation in a cutting edge research project
- Opportunity to obtain a PhD
- Vibrant research environment and team
- Opportunities for professional development and methods training in the Cluster
- Research focus, no teaching obligation
- Access to Research Support funds and visiting fellowships
- A letter of motivation (one page)
- A Curriculum Vitae
- Official transcript of records and degree certificates
- A writing sample (in English or German), such as a thesis or a term paper (if available)
- Name and contact of one potential reference
Interested candidates may contact Jun.-Prof. Sebastian Koos, email@example.com
for further information.
We look forward to receiving your application (compiled as a single PDF file
) by March 13th 2022
via our Online Application Portal
The University of Konstanz is committed to ensuring an environment that provides equal opportunities and promotes diversity as well as a good balance between university
and family life. As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to increase the number of women working in research and teaching. We also support working couples through
our dual career programme (https://www.uni-konstanz.de/en/equalopportunities/family/dual-career/
). Persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply. They
will be given preference if appropriately qualified (contact + 49 7531 884016).