The Research Training Group (Graduiertenkolleg, GRK) 2696 „Transformations of science and technology since 1800: topics, processes, institutions“ (funded by the German Research Foundation)
six doctoral candidates,
who will be starting their employment with a postgraduate scholarship
(six months) which is followed by three years as research assistant (f/m/d)
at 65% of Standard working hours (paygrade: E 13TV-L)
from October 1st, 2023 for a time of three and a half years maximum.
The GRK is a joint project of the research groups of history (history of science and technology, history of mathematics), philosophy (philosophy of science, philosophy of physics) and sociology (sociology of science and organizations) in the Interdisciplinary Centre for Science and Technology Studies (IZWT). It focuses on the analysis of topics, processes and institutions of transformations in science and technology with particular attention to the historical contextualization and the complex interactions of those three dimensions. You can find more Information about the GRK and the participating professors on the website of the GRK at the IZWT of the University of Wuppertal: https://www.izwt.uni-wuppertal.de/de/graduiertenkolleg-2696/
The GRK equally addresses graduates of history, philosophy and sociology, in particular of history of science and technology, philosophy of science and technology as well as sociology of science, technology and organizations, natural sciences (e. g. geosciences or physics), mathematics, engineering, empirical education research as well as other (interdisciplinary) graduates in the fields of the social sciences and arts faculties.
A central part of the GRK’s agenda is to enable a work-life balance and fester equal opportunity.
Professional and personal requirements for employment:
- university degree (Master or equivalent)
- outline of (max. three pages) a possible doctoral project to be conducted in the context of the GRK (in English or German)
- good command of English
- improving your academic skills during the scholarship and throughout the following doctorates program
- completing a doctoral thesis in one of the participating disciplines on a topic which reflects the aims of the GRK
- willingness to engage in interdisciplinary research
- attending the study program as well as events of the GRK
- obtaining your doctorate at the University of Wuppertal
- fulfilling mandatory attendance requirements in Wuppertal
The positions advertised serve to promote a doctoral program and qualify their holders respectively and in accordance with the law (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetzes (WissZeitVG)). They are temporary for the duration of the dissertation and will initially be filled on the basis of a scholarship for a period of six months (approx. 1,200 to 1,500€ per month), followed by three years as a research assistant (65 % E13 TV-L).
Reference number: 23031
Applications must be submitted via the online portal of the University of Wuppertal: https://stellenausschreibungen.uni-wuppertal.de
. Applications must include the following documents:
- cover letter explaining your motivation,
- current CV
- application form (accessible via https://grk2696.de/?page_id=194),
- Abitur certificate, certificate of university entrance exam
- bachelor certificate including diploma Supplement,
- master certificate, including diploma Supplement. If the certificate has not been issued yet, the applicant may submit a certification attesting 90 ECTSs or a preliminary examination certificate.
- outline of (max. three pages) a possible doctorate project to be conducted in the context of the GRK (in English or German).
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please address your cover letter to the spokesperson of the GRK 2696, Prof. Dr. Volker Remmert.
Applications from all genders are welcome. In accordance with the Gender Equality Act of North Rhine-Westphalia women will be given preferential consideration unless there are compelling reasons in favor of an applicant who is not female. The same applies to applications from disabled persons, who will be given preference in the case of equal suitability.
Application deadline: 2023-03-31