The DFG-funded Collaborative Research Centre 1076 “AquaDiva – Understanding the Links between Surface and Subsurface Biogeosphere” (www.aquadiva.uni-jena.de) is an ambitious research centre at Friedrich Schiller University Jena and three non-university institutions: Leibniz Institute of Photonic Technology, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ, and Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry. Its integrated research training group IRTG AquaDiva is educating doctoral researchers in a structured, interdisciplinary training program and invites applications for doctoral researcher positions in various fields of research.
• Project-specific responsibilities are given in the respective job ads under
• Work on a scientific qualification project: doctorate
• Writing and publishing scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals
• Presenting results at national and international conferences
• M.Sc. degree in the research field of the respective project or similar field is necessary (as given in respective job ad); candidates expected to earn their degree by September 2021 are welcome to apply
• Solid knowledge and experiences as given in the respective job ad
• Excellent English communication skills, both written and spoken, are desirable
• Enthusiasm to play an active role in the interdisciplinary research team of AquaDiva
• Highly motivated and creative individuals with an interest to shape their own thesis project
• Readiness and ability to work in the field and a driver’s license might be beneficial for some of the projects
The positions are initially limited to 3 years, with the possibility of extension to end of June 2025.
These are a part-time positions with 65% of the working hours of a full-time employee (26 hours per week).
• Doctoral researcher positions with generous research funding and the possibility of a three-month research stay abroad
• Participation in a strongly interdisciplinary research project and diverse experimental and theoretical approaches, combined with the opportunity for research on an innovative and unique Critical Zone research platform
• A communicative atmosphere within an international scientific network of universities and research institutes providing top-level research facilities, equipment, and infrastructure
• A comprehensive mentoring programme with supervision by a team of advisors and qualification and development measures in the frame of the IRTG AquaDiva and embedded with the Jena Graduate Academy
• A family-friendly working environment with a variety of offers for families, and University health promotion including a wide range of University sports activities
Submit your application as specified in the respective job ad by 20 June 2021 to our online application portal at:
All applications should be in English and include (in one PDF file, max. size 15 MB) at least the following:
1. Cover letter (max. 1 page, describing your motivation, research interests, and relevant experiences)
2. Curriculum vitae (max. 2 pages, including contact details of at least two scientific references)
3. Scans of certificates, diplomas, and other (e.g., Master’s and Bachelor’s certificate – if not in English or German, please provide a translation)
CRC AquaDiva seeks to increase the number of women in those research areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourage women to apply.
Selected applicants will be invited for a short presentation and a personal interview with the project leader/s at our online recruitment symposium, presumably in July/August 2021.
Queries concerning the application process should be directed to the IRTG coordinator, Dr. Anke Hädrich (aquadiva-recruitment[at]uni-jena.de).